Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question that fits no other area, post it here!

TOPIC: Free used computer, printers available

Free used computer, printers available 3 years 3 months ago #13987

Just in case you missed seeing it, I've got a lot of older CPUs, a monitor, some keyboards, a laser printer and several inkjet printers available for free listed in the classifieds. I'm also looking for recommendations for recycle centers who also might wipe the hard drives of the CPUs. I don't want to donate this equipment to Good Will without removing the hard drives or making sure the information on them is not recoverable. Without the hard drives, I double Good Will would be interested in them at all. Please let me know what you think.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Free used computer, printers available 3 years 3 months ago #13988

• Kimberly Coye
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Please let me know what you think.

my 2 cents re erasing before donating:

Fastest Erase - only erases the allocation table, easy to recover data with forensic utility

1-3 pass entire disk overwrite - reasonable protection from all but clean room techniques, each pass/variation of 1/0 overwrite provides better security, but takes a lot of time. Technically recoverable by specialized very, very expensive techniques - not likely to be available to a local bad guy

DOD 7-pass - arguably recoverable, but only with NSA or other agency toolsets/technology

100% secure - open the drives, remove the individual cylinder platters - use a hammer/sledge to physically break the disks - used for secure data destruction requirements - overkill for most mortals, but fun for some if the Monster Trucks are not in town that week... :whistle:

For most folks in non-DOD environments, the 1-pass entire disk overwrite is time/security a good choice

a machine without a drive - great as a boat anchor or ewaste, not generally useful as a donation
Mac Repair Today
916-606-8303
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Kimberly Coye.

Re: Free used computer, printers available 3 years 3 months ago #13992

If these old computers will be recycled, the best way to permanently remove the data from the drives is to remove them from the machine and then take a hammer to it to destroy it for good. Our IT guy used to drop old hard drives from the 2nd floor window onto the asphalt to make sure nobody could access any sensitive data from them. And then hit them with a hammer a few times for good measure.B)

Re: Free used computer, printers available 3 years 3 months ago #13996

I make them into wind chimes.............
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds