Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Quicken Substitute Needed

Quicken Substitute Needed 4 years 9 months ago #12458

I (unfortunately) bought Quicken for my brand new Mac. I have been using old Quicken for years, dating from the time the Mac was a brown box that looked looked like a breadbasket turned on its side and had 128 k. That was big, back in the days! For some odd reason, I want to be able to tell you exactly how much I spent for any transaction in 1998. In know, it makes no sense.

Anyway, I lost all my investment accounts. They did not translate. And, because I had transferred money to and from investment accounts, all my other accounts were off by thousands of dollars.

All Quicken wants to do is import stuff from banks and credit card companies. What about all my old data?

I am actually keeping my old computer just to run the old Quicken. And The Apple Store did give my my money back. I was SO happy to delete #@$@#$ (cursing deleted) Quicken!

Is there ANY financial program out there that can translate all my old data and is usable?

Thanks
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Matthew Christian. Reason: title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Quicken Substitute Needed 4 years 9 months ago #12459

• Gregory Jones
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Check the board for Quicken Essential.

You did not say which Quicken versions you were dealing with.

I am currently using both Quicken 2007 and SEE Finance together, with the idea of being prepared before Quicken abandons me.

SEE is unique in that it does a fully functional demo (nagware). Most of the others demos have either limited time, or limited number of transactions --- which renders them useless for evaluation. The limited # of transactions means you are blown away by importing your existing data. The limited time doesn't get you through the learning curve ( remember the pain of learning to set up and use Quicken?)

Anyway, SEE did the cleanest job of importing my quicken stuff --- though it did throw me for a loop because of the way it handled my investments (separates the cash from the stocks) -- and did initially fail at on-line comms with institutions. The work-around for that was a prefs setting--- presents itself to the bank/broker as SEE, or Quicken----

It uses the Keychain, instead of "Vault" for account log-in info. It does not yet show you future scheduled transactions in your register view.

I'm still learning, but have developed enough confidence in it to pay the shareware fee. It was nice to have the time to be able to get there.
Greg
gregneg at mac dot com
Mac Mini 3,1 OS10.10x, 8Gig Ram
Wife's Retired iPad2
iPhone 5s ATT

Re: Quicken Substitute Needed 4 years 9 months ago #12460

• Don Lord
  • Expert Boarder
I LIKE Quicken for my Mac. It is easy to use and works well.
It did a great job of importing the data from a 2005 Quicken on a PC .

Re: Quicken Substitute Needed 4 years 9 months ago #12472

I have converted a few of my clients to iBank and it is a nice alternative that imports and saves as Quicken .QIF files. It interacts with most banks, and prints checks.

It even has an iPhone App

www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/
Moderators: Matthew Christian
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds